The world builders project, basically was requiring a creating a World Concept Teaser that is based on a description from a Novel, where there should be at least one shot for team member and the teams can be between 4-5 members. It can be made in 3 different options, a environment in a Real Time Engine, a “VFX” shot – Matte Painting/Virtual Environment, which might use camera mapping techniques, or, a 2D Animation, in 2.5D.
Considering that the whole class consist of 5 members including me, it was a class decision that we were going to work all together, and for default and majority, it was decided that we were going to do in Unreal Engine 4 (UE4); once it was decided the style, we all discussed about the book or well novel that we wanted to work with it, in the end was decided to use “20 000 leagues under the sea” by Jules Verne and the description to use was from the chapter: “The lost continent” making referring to the mystical lost city of Atlantis.
The project as any other project start it with the pre production phase, follow by the production and of course the post production phases. This was managed as a team in different ways depending on what phase we were up to, but in general speaking the result of this project was well done thanks to the constant effort for each of us individually and grupal as part of a team member that we all were.
There were moments on the project that we couldn’t help but disagree with something, but that never stop us as a team, we always manage to find a solution to whatever was happening as for example when it was a communication issue going on with one of us or many of us, that technically was meaning pushing us or the project backwards or behind schedule, that it was done since almost day one of this project.
It had been some cases where in the end someone else had to have the initiative and take over a task from someone that obviously for ende problems, technical or personal, was pushing the project behind or a big part of it. While in the majority of time for the project I was a 3D generalist, I was also in “charge” to say so, well more like as part of a team member that I was, I was always collaboration with important decisions as well giving feedback to those in the team that need it.
Although one of the main issues going on was communication, reporting in time as we had agree with, we did that the main solution was that even when it was nothing done by that day, we should say it, and didn’t need a whole full explanation as why it was that, just let us know that at least you were planning to probably reschedule some tasks and finish in time as it was previously agree it and planned on the gantt chart created almost immediately when the project did.
This project, was divided, like any other project in pre-production, production and post-production. In each part of it, had their key creative processes that had helps us to do the right thing in the right time. For example, in the pre-production phrase, it was important to focus in some research as well as amount of proposes that would help the ideal image to say so, for the result. Each of us, were focus in main assets that were decided as team as an unit. So, like that each of us, had the responsibility of researching references (as always good references will lead a success on the project) and share it with the rest.
One of the main process steps that we did as a team, was also create a drive folder share it open for all of us, and in that way whatever that we find or do individually, it was incorporate. So, as well as in the pre-production it was used to register any kind of documentation, in the production phrase was used in an specific order, to save and share anything that we did, even if wasn’t include in the end.
In conclusion, I would say, that getting set a good communication method and good saving process of each part of it, it’s fundamental for any kind of project. Responsibilities has to be consider as serious as anything in our day by day live; and can be edited depending on what phrase of the project we were up to. My personal roles, when from generalys searcher to analyst and reporting feedback in the post-production but the main one, was to be part of the 3D generalist and create assets. Some of the assets that I did, didn’t end on the project, but that should bother any one, considering that we were talking and working mostly on feedback gain.