The world builders project had reached an end. It have been 7 and half weeks of hard work to have it done.
That’s the end result, presented on week 8. Now its the time to do some reflexion about the progress during the project and about the project in general.
Let’s start analysing the process choose to do the project. First, was documentation phrase to say so, when as a team by meetings agreement decided on what kind of final product we wanted to produce.
I remember when the project was explained and give the different options for it, I immediately knew that I was going to work in 3D, because that’s what I consider one of my stronger skills. Although the class being so big, the groups technically already determine, I ended working in a effects group; or that was the idea.
To do the project was necessary to have good methods of communication, we did had our slack channel as well as any other team. We also have a drive share folder on our google drives. I remember the communication was solid at the beginning of it, when we were working together as a team.
Once it was decided, approved by our facilitators what scene each individual is working on, the communication lowered. We did consulted for feedback to the others members of the team as well as the facilitators every week, but mostly it was delivered just by them rather than the team.
The project felt a bit more like an individual project rather than a group one. The only part that seems to still group choice is the style that we had agreed. We did share some basic knowledge of how to do the chosen style but anything further went in our own.
I believe that because one it was clear we were working individually, the communication dropped to only when it’s necessary. As a team we should try a bit harder to actual communicate what were our avance and how we were dealing with it, to see the progress as a group rather than individually.
As part of the team, and part of my responsibilities was also to keep insisting on it and/or just communicate my part more frequently even when it wasn’t any real communicating (responses) frequently. Asking is also another factor that is was a bit weak, but not as weak as general communication. Sometimes, asking was the only way to know is what we were doing was the correct process and so and that’s was what seems to actual worked, specially with replies from our facilitators.
To do the project, we did some research, concepts arts, animatic, previs and implemented everything in order to obtain the last result in each scene. Like I said before, one the team had agreed and once the shot were approved, based on the concept arts, it was more individual work that later on will be put together as one solid piece.
For my part of it, I learned about Falloff Maps, that allows us to have different colour effect on a select asset or assets depending on the light on the scene. Using that process, it made it easy to texture without really unwrapping it, and that helps us to actually save a lot of time.
Apart of that technique, I learn a similar way to use a map texture to say so, for the river and give it a realist colour and effect. I did learned how to use a ripple to apply to a plane or box that later on will be the river in this case. Using the ripple and giving it an animation sequence, it gives the realism movement needed to the water effect.
I could just conclude that this project did have the main three steps on an animation project in general, the pre-production, production and post production. We did have on the pre-production all the documentation needed, agreements and more; on the production each of us individually work the best, the get the scene as much as possible similar to the animatic, created the assets, animation and effects needed; to finally on the post production, we did collect all the individual shots and put it all together adding some sounds effects and effects on the title and credits.
I like to believe that even it was seem it as a individual project while doing all the shots, it really shows how a team can work separately and at the same time together having a unique result, mostly because of the define concepts at the beginning and good stable communication at the start when all the main decisions were made.